8 Ideas For A Greener Show
8 ideas for a greener show
Current trends show that upwards of 70% of companies are investing in sustainability. These companies are planning ahead for our planet’s future, while also showing their clients that they care. The trade show industry is considered the second most unsustainable industry in the world, generating 600,000 tons of waste a year. How? The mountains of unread promotional material and food combined with massive use of energy, flights and cars add up pretty quick!
Here are eight great ways to go green for your next tradeshow or marketing event.
Reduce paper consumption: Putting as much data in the cloud or digital format helps the environment in several ways. You’re helping to reduce waste, shipping and printing costs. Use iPads or tablets to collect customer information. Use email to send invitations and thank you cards. You can also use an online registration or check-in app.
Reduce carbon emissions: Reduce your carbon footprint at your next trade show by carpooling with services such as Uber or local taxi service instead of car rentals. You can also target trade shows that are held at venues that use solar and wind power. Go extra green and take advantage of carbon offsets. A carbon offset is a reduction in carbon emission elsewhere to balance the emissions you can not reduce on your own. For instance, you can make a donation to a non profit that uses the money to fund carbon reduction.
- Go local: Use local vendors for food, technology, etc. whenever possible. Not only are you helping the environment, you’re helping support small businesses too!
- Donate leftovers: Instead of return shipping extra supplies from your show, consider donating them to a local school or charity. If you are serving food or drinks at your trade show event, donate leftovers to a local food charity.
- Buy in bulk: Instead of handing out bottles of water, provide a water filtration cooler and eco-friendly disposable cups. You can also purchase condiments in bulk instead of individual containers. Chances are, you’ll have some left over to donate instead of trash.
- Eco-friendly displays: Trade show displays are often constructed of different types of metals and plastics. Thanks to technology, there are many more suitable materials that can be used for trade show display construction. Do a search for trade show display companies that offer such eco-friendly displays for sale or rent. Remember, if possible, go with a local company.
- Eco-friendly promotional products: Having great promotional products at your trade show is important. Not only do they need to be innovative, they have to capture your client’s attention. Great eco-friendly promotional products include solar chargers, canvas bags and recycled jotters.
- Make sure to recycle: When it’s time to pack up the show, take the extra time to properly sort what you are discarding, then recycle when possible.
It is much easier today to host a green trade show or event. Countless eco-focused companies exist across the map to help you along the way. Follow these steps to save the planet and show your clients where your priorities are!
About the author: William Hall is a seasoned business coach specializing in branding, social media and promotional events. William has spent his career teaching businesses of all sizes how to stand out in the crowd while using marketing dollars most effectively. His clients are continuously thankful for his out-of-the-box ideas that lead to increased revenue, more clicks and a bigger online presence.